Starbucks


Here I am at Starbucks again, which probably sounds wonderful to you, but I have to tell you, I've been logging a LOT of hours at local Starbucks and other coffee shops this semester. I just handed in my last assignment for one of my two courses, and boy does it feel good. I still have 3 assignments for the other class, which are due at the end of the month. So yes, my blog posts have been few and far between, but I am getting pretty good grades ;)
I have a 2010 reflection post in the works, but for now, a little on teaching with passion (from a book discussion in one of my classes)

I love the term “dynamism” on page 136. I agree that a passion for teaching is important. The writers note that this means not only an enthusiasm for their subject, but also a love of teaching itself. It’s true that “If you are not excited about teaching, then why should students be excited about learning?” (136) I find if I’m getting bored while teaching, then my students must be bored, and if they’re bored, they may not be learning. Some of the marks for a successful lesson for me are when the students are actually having fun, to the point where they forget they’re speaking English. I love it when I start to wrap up the class and students say, “It’s over already?” Of course that doesn’t mean that we can play games with our students 24/7, as much as they may enjoy that. But I think the suggestions given on page 137 are helpful: use a variety of strategies in class, change the pace of activities throughout a class session, and be flexible and willing to find out about what excited your students and use it in your teaching. I think a passion for teaching can encompass many of the other qualities of excellent teachers discussed in this chapter.

Comments