I have written my post about Thailand, but need to get all the pictures uploaded. You can expect it in a few days. Until then, here's some good news:
My best friend and dear co-teacher in Yuli just accepted a job here in
In honor of her return, I am going to write a comparison between Taiwan, and the island from our favorite TV show, Lost. If you're not a fan of the show please feel free to stop reading now.
- People who leave both islands later find the inexplicable urge to go back.
Lost, there is a smoke mon
ster, Taiwan has air pollution.
- 3. The island on Lost has magical healing properties. Taiwan has Chinese medicine. I remember the horrible smelling witch's brew our landlords made when we lived there, Chinese medicine for fertility....today, they have 3 sons!
4. There are bears on both islands (Polar bears on Lost, the cuddlier Pandas here)
5. Settlers to the island come in waves, first the others, then the Dharma initiative, and finally the “Losties”. This can be compared to Taiwan’s aboriginals and Taiwanese, then the 1949 migration of “mainlanders” and finally the foreigners who have now come to inhabit the island.
6. There are a number of mysterious underground “hatches” built by some of these previous inhabitants, I’ve been to such places in Penghu (The Swan), Tainan (The Orchid), Danshui (The Looking Glass), and Keelung (The Flame)
7. The ownership of both islands is disputed by two powerful parties....