2 busy weekends

There's always something happening in Taiwan. I could be attending something every weekend if I wanted to. November's already shaping up to be a really busy month! But here are some highlights of the past 2 weeks. First, attended a symphony orchestra playing in Taroko Gorge!
The music was pretty good, though I probably enjoyed the surroundings more. It had been quite a long while since I'd been back to Hualian, and especially to Taroko, so it was nice. The weather was great too. I got to meet up with Michelle and David (sorry I cut off his head in the picture), and later on unexpectedly had dinner with some old friends from Yuli, including Amy and Jack and Jamber and Sabrina, who have since moved to Hualian city. 

As I mentioned in my last post, last weekend was the Franklin Graham Festival! I had originally only planned to go on Saturday, but ended up going 3  of the 4 nights! It was really great. One thing that was interesting is that it was put together a lot like a Taiwanese variety show like they have on tv and at countless school anniversary celebrations all over the island. 
Basically they invited churches and influential Christian celebrities as well as some of the team from America to perform in a parade of acts, usually one or two songs and a short testimony. I was impressed with the number of Taiwanese celebrities who have become Christians since they found fame, and the courage they showed in proclaiming it. I also got to see one of my favorite Taiwanese pop singers, even though he's not really in the spotlight these days: David Tao!

 Franklin's message was simple and direct, and the response was overwhelming. I heard that over 9000 people came to the Lord over the 4 days of the festival. I personally know of three from my church (including the older sister of one of my bible study coordinators). One of my pastor friends also told me today that this is the most unified the church in Taiwan has ever been as soo many churches had to work together to make this event possible. I think the effects will be felt here for years to come. 



Comments

  1. Wow, God does some great things huh! It also looks for us that the month of Nov is going to be quite busy with something every weekend, actually! But things like these events are so refreshing that you can hardly take them for granted! Praise God! (and thanks for sharing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! I'm so glad you got to take part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God! That's amazing. I'll pray that the Taiwanese church remains unified and that the new converts stay strong in their new faith.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment