Korea!

My last class of the semester was on Wednesday. I got up early on Thursday morning and took the train to Taipei, then I took a bus to the airport, and finally an airplane to Incheon, Korea. So here I am in South Korea! When I arrived, I had to take a bus to Amanda's city, Pyeongtaek. She gave me really good directions, but we were all a little nervous. Fortunately, it was SO simple! Actually when I went out the doors a guy came up to me right away and asked where I wanted to go, then pointed me in the right direction. I had to wait about 30 minutes before taking a 2.5 hour bus ride, but still managed to have what felt like a full evening with Amanda. We went out for Shabu Shabu, which is kind of like hot pot, but a little different and extremely tasty! It's been so fun to see a bit of Korean culture, and look at the differences and similarities between here and Taiwan. Also it's been refreshing to have so much English conversation! Plans for the week include visiting classes, visiting Seoul, the capital city, and visiting the beach near Busan. Impressions so far: Koreans are REALLY into soccer and really excited about the world cup, the Korean lanuage is not simple, and you get 'bottomless' kimchee at all restaurants! More again soon, have a great weekend!

Comments

  1. Hey Char,
    It sounds awesome! I love how you are taking time on your holiday to visit classes ;) Learn lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it shabu shabu like the chain, or somethin else? What can you say in Korean? I am so excited for you, ms world traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a little different, just an independent store. but i guess that's the word for that type of meal. I know how to say "hello" "thank you" and how to get the waiter's attention. Actually you'd be amazed at how much Chinese influence is in the language. For example "dong dae men" means East Gate (dong da men) a part of Seoul. More later! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:12 pm

    Hi Babe, read your blog today. I just wanted to say hi, and I miss you and I love you. I am happy to hear you are having a blast. By the way what is kimchee?

    Love your roomy... heehee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment