miscellaneous

well i must say this is an interesting job.... for someone who gets bored easily, even though i dislike the instability at times, it is a pretty good match for me i think. our schedule is changing, yet again. After this week we have two weeks where we are not teaching, but will be madly trying to prepare for summer camp which will be upon us on July 4. This consists of adapting some books into dramas, making and laminating materials for four classes, and planning our training sessions. Time does fly though... i seem to remember thinking not so long ago that camp was still ages away.

we've been watching a lot of movies lately - 3 a week actually... definitely a lot more than my usual quota (more like 3 a month), but i guess it's our fix of american culture? anyways, we've been watching some creepy movies like The Manchurian Candidate, The Mothman Prophecies, and Conspiracy Theory, as well as The Little Mermaid, and Finding Neverland which just arrived in Blockbuster, and I must say, is one of the better movies I've seen in awhile.

two weeks ago Friday during our last class at Yu Dong, my digital camera somehow got broken :( :( :( and it seems no one in Yuli can fix it. Since my 35mm camera is also "dead" I am currently camera-less. Fortunately, my dear friend Amy jieh let me borrow their extra one, so I have been able to take some pictures in the meantime, but it will be a little while before i can upload them.
We had our last classes at San Min last Thursday which were pretty fun... at the end of my first class (my "bad" class) i let them ask me questions, and some of them were "Can you forgive us for being so bad?" and "Do you have a boyfriend?" (one of my 15 year old boys mentioned he'd happily fill the position) and what kind of boys do I like? (my answer, which in one way or another rules out all of my students in that classs, was "ai Sheng Di de ren" and "hui jiang ying wen de ren" some one who loves God and can speak English... that's not asking a lot is it? haha my second class (my favorite Jr. High class) asked where I live, and wanted directions... I wonder if any of them will come visit me... I remember that was actually one of the highlights of my time in Brazil, when my students would come visit me, especially on our last couple of days there.

My little students at Yon Feng were distraught when I told them next week would be our last week.... I might shed some tears when I say goodbye to them. I'm happy I'll get to see some of them at least in August.

On Thursday after class at San Min, we went to Mandy's house, where she gave us some food specially made for Dragon Boat festival. It's a little hard to describe, but there were two kinds we had, which consist of rice and filling wrapped in bamboo leaves to make triangular packets. One was sweeter and had rice that was jelly-like in texture and some kind of bean in the middle. The other had a mixture of meat and rice. They are interesting...

Since it was Dragon Boat Festival and all, I was trying to figure out how I could get to Hualian to go see some dragon boat races. My friend Catherine supplied me with information about this endeavor, but i decided it wasn't really possible to get from the train station to where the races would be held. After I had given up on going anywhere, my Canadian friend Faith in Taitung called me and asked if we wanted to come visit them and see the events!

On Saturday around 11:30 I took the train (which I almost missed) to Taitung where I was met by Faith and her roommate Rebecca, and, with a prayer (due to the fact that they'd forgotten to bring an extra helmet) hopped on the back of Faith's scooter. We had a great lunch at this vegetarian restaurant, and then got hairwashes (a rather divine experience this time), and went down to the lake to see the dragon boat races. It wasn't as exciting as I'd envisioned (screaming fans and and olympian setting) but it was pretty cool to see the boats. I took some pictures which I'll post hopefully later this week. It was a really fun day, and so great to hang out with some fellow foreigners. Faith and I even reminisced about Tim Horton's....

so anyways, that's what I've been up to, ni ne?

Comments