xiao peng you

Today when I was on my way to class at Yuli Elementary school, this little girl stopped me. I wasn't sure why she stopped me, since it was "after school" and there were a number of parents and children coming and going from the scene, as well as a couple of school guards at the gate controlling traffic and such. Anyways, she stopped me, and said something in Chinese that I didn't totally understand, but I got enough to know it was something about her mother, then she started crying! She was probably about seven years old. So I asked her what her mother's name was (not sure as to the usefulness of that question) and where she was. She said her mom was at home and wasn't coming to pick her up. I wasn't sure if she should just wait or what, but I offered to let her use my cellphone to call her mom. She said her mom was on the way and that she's be ok waiting, and so I went to class, thankful that I'd had my cellphone, and that I could understand/speak enough Chinese to help her.

I had my youngest class, grades 1-3 and to be a little different today, we made a craft! It was quite fun, though took up almost all the time, and it was nice to have students that are really excited about what they're doing. Teaching a craft in English isn't so difficult since you can demonstrate the instructions you're giving quite easily. They were so cute when they proudly showed me their colored butterflies and frogs.
I like kids.

Comments