part update, part movie review

i'm sorry i haven't updated this week! it hasn't been incredibly exciting, a lot of rain... though I did manage a long bike ride one afternoon (about 35-40 minutes each way) two of our Jr. Highs and one of our Elementarys had midterms this week, so it was less busy than usual, which allowed me to devote time to my recent obsession: The Phantom of the Opera, so here, I shall regale to you my history with Phantom...

  • I am currently listening to the music, which I bought in Taipei over Chinese New Year.. so good! I have a better version at home on cassette tape which won't see the light of day for awhile... but I think I listened to it when I was packing up at the end of my college year last year.
  • I read an abridged version of the story when I was young, and of course loved it.
  • I really got into it though, in 2000, when I went to see it performed live in Spokane, Washington. It was amazing, one of the most amazing things I have ever seen! I was amazed at the chandelier, a costume change, somehow on stage while the scene was in progress, a stage transforming into an underground lake with candles coming up from the water, and of course, the incredible story and music. I was naturally rather excited when I heard (probably a while later than most of you) that they were making it into a movie. My faithful blog readers will know that I actually got to see it in theatre a few months ago!
  • Last weekend, I rented it with Catherine since she hadn't seen it. Then when I was talking about it with Peggy, she told me she had just bought it, and lent it to me for the week! So yes, on Wednesday night, I stayed up til about 2am watching all the special features, which ranged from hilarious to fascinating. I hope you can find the hidden bit, it's really funny! I was especially interested by a documentary about how the stage musical came about.

Anyways, not that I am an expert at all, but here is my critique of the movie:

  • I'm not a professional singer at all, but I have to say I really liked the singers in the movie. The Phantom (Gerard Butler) isn't quite as good as when I saw it, but everyone else really was. And of course, all better than I could do...
  • Christine really showed too much cleavage (during most of the movie) for my liking, but I think Emmy is more beautiful than Sarah Brightman. She had some really great facial expressions and an innocence about her.
  • The whole Point of No Return sequence is just amazing. Every time I watch it I perceive different nuances, like at what point does Christine fall under his spell? When does she know it's him? When does Raoul know it's him? Lots of really good acting there (in my opinion). I like how they had some simpler costumes there too, the stage ones are quite ornate.
  • Speaking of costumes... I have to say, I was rather disappointed with Masquerade. It's just meant to be so much brighter! At least if they were only going to work with 4 colors, they could have chosen bright but cool colors that would still constrast with the Phantom's red death costume. I preferred his red death costume in the stage show anyhow, much more dramatic.

Well, most of you are probably bored to death by now, and of the opinion that I really didn't like the movie that much (and I haven't even started on the swordfight scene). I really do love the movie! Anyways, if you stop reading now, I'll forgive you... next time I'll write more about Taiwan life (where, in my case anyways, there lacks the Phantom's elements of mystery, opera, romance, and murder)

  • I didn't like how they changed some parts to speaking parts instead, maybe they were trying to appeal to the younger audience by making it more like a movie and less like a musical but I think it took some of the drama out of certain moments.
  • I was a little skeptical about them moving the chandelier crash to the end of the movie, but i really think it worked.
  • The costumes and sets were really beautiful
  • The Phantom: way too good looking... probably many people have this complaint. I think they could have transitioned better between masked and unmasked. Not as much of his face is disfigured, but certain parts that are at the end are perfect in previous closeups even where that part of the face is revealed.
  • The swordfight: ok... but it was a little pointless to have Raoul win and then Christine say "no, not this way" (let's instead hatch this elaborate plot that will endanger all of our lives...), i can see that they're trying to show how torn she is between the two, but there was probably a better line they could have come up with, or else have reversed it so that the phantom was still in control.
  • i liked the background story of the Phantom, it was quite moving, but it kind of fails in later explanations like how on earth did he become an archetict, magician etc if he's actually lived in the Opera house since childhood. I belive the book has a bunch of history about him being in other places and accomplishing a number of things.
  • Anyways, they did some great transitions, especially in the opening sequence - it was just breathtaking! I really appreciated being able to see it much closer, as well as being able to rewind my favorite parts. I think they had too many "black and white" scenes but I really liked the shot of the diamonds becoming the fireworks to open up "Masquerade."

Well at this moment, that's all I have to say on that. If you've seen this movie and agree or disagree with any of my thoughts, discussion is welcome... if you haven't seen this movie why on earth not??

Comments