Fu huo jie

Easter morning started for me like it started for many others around the world and throughout history... getting up while it was still dark and making my way out of town before the sun rose. Hope and I rode out to a hill and read the account of Christ's resurrection, and then sang a number of songs. It was different to watch the sun rise over the mountains, since for the past four years I've been watching it across the expanse of Saskatchewan hay fields. It had its own beauty though, forever mirroring in a small way the wonder of new life and the constancy of God. Also different was that I was in a light cotton shirt, not bundled under layers of clothing, and when I returned it didn't take me an hour to stop shivering...

I went to breakfast and then got ready for church. It was a nice service, but I do miss Caronport Easters... it's really a blessing to be among so many amazing teachers there. At church, Coco gave me two letters they'd received, Easter cards from my family and from Kaia! It was perfect timing, and such a wonderful suprise! I have heaps of stuff to mail out... one of these days....

After lunch we had egg dyeing part II, which was quite successful! Eight children and three adults (2 moms and Dr. Su) came to our party where we colored eggs and ate Easter cake. Oh yeah, and Hope and I ate Kinder Eggs beforehand in honor of the holiday :)
It was the first time any of the kids had dyed eggs, so it was quite exciting for them! It's fun to be able to share little bits of our tradition with them.

Before I sign off and leave you to look at pictures of the events described above, I'll mention my most recent culinary experiment: Minestrone with Taiwanese characteristics.... it's not bad actually... but the only beans I could find were soybeans, and there was no tomato soup, paste, or even canned tomatoes to be found, so I bought some (not so fresh) tomatoes from the grocery store, and used some vegetable soup stock. I'd have to say it smells better than it tastes, but all in all, it worked pretty well, and I'll be eating soup for a few days....

Comments